Crystal healing harnesses the spiritual and energetic power of crystals to improve mental, physical and emotional well-being. In this article, we’ll explore the basics of crystals and how they can be used.
Crystals, minerals, rocks and gemstones are beautiful formations that have been used for centuries to benefit health, wellbeing and spiritual development.
They aren’t a replacement for medical science, but many people find crystals beneficial as a complementary therapy.
In this article, I’ll talk about where crystals come from and how you can use them to improve your life. For the purpose of this article, I’ll refer to crystals, gemstones, minerals and rocks as crystals.
The Quick Answer...
Crystals interact with our energy fields and chakras. When used correctly, this interaction can be harnessed for spiritual, mental, physical and emotional change.
Whether you want to enhance your meditation, protect yourself from negative energy, build courage, have more luck, or stimulate creativity, there is a crystal that can help. Keep reading to learn about how crystal healing can improve your life, or click here if you have a specific intention in mind.
Where Do Crystals Come From?
Crystals grow in the earth’s crust under high pressure and immense heat.
The colour and structure of a crystal depends on both the environment and elements involved. As the amount of carbon, sodium, oxygen or silica varies depending on the location, there is a wonderful array of crystals to choose from.
Each crystal can differ in the following ways:
- Structure – There are six basic chemical structures of crystals: cubic (isometric), tetragonal, hexagonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic and triclinic. The chemical structure affects energetic properties, which is why certain crystals are effective for specific types of healing.
- Colour – Crystals range the full spectrum of colours depending on their chemical structure. Specific colours resonate most strongly with particular chakras and energy fields. Red and orange Earth crystals, for example, tend to inspire action and passion. Air crystals, which are often yellow or white, are focused on the mind and intellect.
- Hardness – The hardness of a crystal helps identify the type and how it can be used (faceting, jewellery, carving, storing and handling). This doesn’t directly affect the energetic property of a crystal, but may change how you should care for it.
- Size – A crystal’s size doesn’t affect its energy, but small tumble stones may emit less vibration. Larger crystals look beautiful in a home, whilst smaller crystals are more practical, affordable and portable.
- Shape – Crystals naturally form in many shapes. These include cubes, pyramids, clusters, phantoms, generators, points, single and double terminated, and geodes. They can also be cut, sliced, polished or carved. The shape of a crystal does affect energetic characteristics.
It’s the combination of these factors that determines the overall energy of a crystal. But how does this relate to crystal healing?
Every aspect of our life is affected by our energy fields and chakras. They regulate the mental, emotional, spiritual and physical functions of the body (more on this in a moment).
A crystal’s energy resonates with our energy fields and chakras, and can affect them in positive ways. For this reason, placing crystals near us can elicit change in almost any area of our lives.
The History of Using Crystals for Healing
Crystal healing has been practised for thousands of years. Many of the techniques and knowledge we have today dates back to these ancient beginnings.
In medical texts from 5,500 years ago, for example, there are references to using lapis lazuli and jasper as a cure for various ailments. The Ancient Sumerians included crystals in magic formulas, while the Ancient Egyptians made jewellery with an array of beautiful crystals for health and protection.
There have also been many references to crystals in religious texts. In the Bible, for example, 12 jewels were found in the priestly breastplate of Aaron, according to the Book of Exodus. In the Koran, the 4th heaven is composed of carbuncle (garnet). And in Hinduism, The Kalpa Tree is said to be made entirely from precious stone.
How Does Crystal Healing Work?
Crystal healing harnesses the energy and vibrations of a crystal to interact with our energy fields and chakras, bringing a positive influence.
By laying them on our body or placing them near us, crystals can transmute, absorb or focus energies. The goal is to elicit changes on an emotional, mental, physical or spiritual level.
To understand how this works, we need to talk more about energy fields and chakras.
The human energy field, also known as the aura, consists of electromagnetic energies of varying densities. The oval aura surrounds the body, but also penetrates a way through it.
Your body mirrors what is happening in this energy field. If there is a weakness, it is likely to manifest in a physical way. You may feel it directly, such as feelings of anxiety or stress, or find your life experiences are affected.
There are seven layers to your aura and each is of a higher vibration than the one before. They are all interrelated and reflect your feelings, thoughts and emotions.
The different layers are:
- Level 1: The Etheric Body
- Level 2: The Emotional Body
- Level 3: The Mental Body
- Level 4: The Astral Body
- Level 5: Etheric Template Body
- Level 6: The Celestial Body
- Level 7: The Causal / Ketheric Body
The properties of each layer is a complex topic that’s beyond the scope of this article. But as crystals can directly affect our energy field, they are a wonderful way to fix weaknesses and improve many aspects of our life.
If you’re feeling tired or overwhelmed, for example, crystals can cleanse your aura to rejuvenate you. If you’ve been around negative people, crystals can unburden your energy field and make you feel less weighed down.
Ultimately, using a crystal’s energetic vibration can promote spiritual balance and protect us from negativity. By ensuring our aura is in top condition, we automatically feel the benefits.
Chakras are the spiritual energy centres of the body. They are often depicted as spinning discs, to reflect how the life force (or “prana”) is rotating inside you.
There are seven main chakras positioned along the spine, starting at the base and going up to the crown of the head. Each is a different colour and connects with organs, the endocrine and nervous system, as well as the emotional, psychological and spiritual self.
The different chakras names are (starting from lowest):
- Base Chakra – Red
- Sacral Chakra – Orange
- Solar Plexus – Yellow
- Heart Chakra – Green
- Throat Chakra – Light Blue
- Third Eye – Indigo
- Crown Chakra – Purple or White
It’s important that energy remains flowing and the chakras are kept open. If they get blocked or become stagnant, it can lead to illness or negative life experiences.
The good news is that crystals can heal the chakras, ensuring they are kept open and balanced.
There’s no right or wrong crystal to use for this, but some crystals are more closely associated with a specific chakra than others.
How Should Crystals be Placed?
You don’t need to touch a crystal for it to work. As long as a crystal is near, your energy will blend with the energetic signature of the crystal.
Many people wear crystals as jewellery so they are with them all the time. Others place them in pockets, purses, cars, offices or around the home.
There are also more advanced methods, such as crystal grids, elixirs and singing bowls, which you may wish to try.
What Are the Advantages of Crystal Healing?
Crystal healing is subtle. It’s not a substitute for medical advice or treatment, but it can be beneficial in many areas of life. There isn’t any pain or nasty side effects, and you don’t need to book an appointment at the doctors!
A bonus is that crystals are beautiful to have in a home or office. They don’t just benefit you, but also friends, colleagues and family.
Crystals are also readily accessible and, if you choose small tumble stones or palm stones, are inexpensive. Every crystal has multiple benefits, so you may only need a few for your collection.
What are Crystals used for?
Each crystal resonates with different chakras and intentions.
If you want to manifest money, for example, you may wish to choose pyrite, amazonite or citrine. If you’re suffering from anxiety, you might reach for lepidolite or blue lace agate.
In reality, crystals can be used for almost anything. Benefits can include aligning chakras, manifesting your intentions, improving meditation, aiding sleep and promoting fertility. Whatever goal or intention you’re trying to achieve, there is a crystal to match.
It’s not an exact science though. Any crystal has numerous attributes that can be used for many different situations.
A ruby, for example, could help you stand up to your fears and inject energy into a situation. It’s also a talisman for love and sensuality, a psychic protection stone, and carries the frequency of the base chakra.
With a little guidance and by trusting your intuition, you’ll soon know which crystal feels right for your current intention. You can also read my guide to choosing a crystal here.
Here are some common examples of the benefits crystals can provide:
- Spiritual – Healing chakras, improving meditation, protecting empaths from negative energies, facilitating astral projection, grounding and manifesting intentions.
- Emotional – Becoming more positive, handling anger, dealing with grief, staying motivated, supporting new beginnings, and feeling calmer.
- Physical – Getting a better sleep, soothing anxiety and helping with fertility.
- Self-Improvement – Enhancing creativity, improving luck, manifesting money and feeling more courageous.
Crystal healing is the oldest form of healing. Having taken millions of years to form, the wisdom and energetic properties of crystals can support us mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.
By connecting with a crystal’s personality, it can unlock the power within you and benefit your life in almost endless ways.