Crystals are beautiful – but they aren’t just for show. Every crystal has unique properties and vibrations that can be used for healing purposes. In this article, I’ll show you how to select the right crystal for your goals and intentions.
Searching for a crystal can be overwhelming – especially as a beginner. There are literally thousands of gemstones, each with a unique structure, energy, colour and uses.
In this article, we’re going to talk about how to choose the right type of crystal and then select a specific stone that feels right to you.
The Quick Answer...
Start by deciding your goals or intentions. Why do you want a crystal? What do you hope to achieve? Once you know your intention, use one of my guides to crystals for specific purposes to create a shortlist. Alternatively, you can use your zodiac sign or a Chakra to choose a crystal (see below).
The next step is to choose the specific stone you want to buy. A useful technique is to look at a display or picture with multiple crystals and see which your eye is drawn towards. Always trust your intuition when choosing a crystal.
How to Choose the Right Type of Healing Crystal
There are several ways to make a shortlist of potential crystals. Here are three of my favourite methods – although I recommend “Method #1” for most beginners.
Method #1: Let Your Intention Guide Your Choice
The easiest way to choose a healing crystal is to decide which area of your life you want to improve, then pick a crystal that resonates with this intention.
Each crystal has unique properties that change our energy field in different ways. So, whether you’re interested in spiritual self-development, protection, health or general well-being, there are multiple crystals that align to this energy.
Once you’ve decided on your intention, take a look at my crystals page here. I’ve written many guides about which stones to choose for specific goals, depending on the crystal’s healing properties. You may also want to read my guide on how to properly store crystals.
What if you don’t know your intentions though? Here are two other methods you can use.
Method #2: Choose a Crystal That Resonates With a Chakra
Chakras are spiritual energy centres that are often depicted as spinning wheels. When open, they keep us healthy and balanced, but problems arise if they are blocked or unbalanced. Crystals can help heal Chakra blockages.
The seven main Chakras align with the spine through to the top of the head. They are linked to our nervous system and major organs, as well as our psychological, emotional and spiritual being.
Each Chakra is a different colour and has different associated stones. By identifying the Chakra you want to unblock or balance, you can determine the best crystal to help you.
Here’s a list of the 7 main chakras and the crystals associated with them:
- Base Chakra – The Base Chakra is red and grounds your energy with the earth. It’s generally involved with survival and security, and is positioned at the base of your spine. Crystals that resonate with the Base Chakra include black tourmaline, bloodstone, red jasper and hematite.
- Sacral Chakra – The Sacral Chakra is orange and aids the vital energy to flow through your body. It’s positioned below your stomach button and is the centre of your creative self, emotions, pleasure, and sexual organs. Crystals that resonate with the Sacral Chakra include carnelian, amber, orange calcite and sunstone. Here’s a full list of crystals for the Sacral Chakra.
- Solar Plexus – This beautiful yellow chakra is connected to your neural network. Its focus is your personal power and self-confidence, helping you to be your true self. The Solar Plexus Chakra is located just below your breast bone and resonates with citrine, rutilated quartz, pyrite and yellow jasper amongst many others.
- Heart Chakra – The wonderful green and pink Heart Chakra emanates love, compassion, unconditional love and forgiveness. Its placed in the centre of the chest and connects the lower physical chakras to your higher spiritual chakras. Stones that resonate beautifully with this Chakra include rose quartz, emerald, green aventurine and green jade.
- Throat Chakra – The Throat Chakra is sky blue and the centre for communication and self-expression. Placed at the base of your neck, this is the first of the spiritual chakras. Turquoise, aquamarine, lapis lazuli and blue apatite are just some of the wonderful crystals that resonate with it.
- Third Eye – This Chakra is a deep indigo colour and is the centre for your intuition. Stimulating the Third Eye Chakra activates the pineal gland and boosts psychic abilities. It resonates strongly with purple fluorite, amethyst, shungite and labradorite.
- Crown Chakra – This is the most mystical of the Chakras and can be purple/violet or white. It’s your connection with higher consciousness – divine purpose and destiny – and is positioned at the top of the head. A few examples of crystals that resonate with it are selenite, clear quartz, amethyst and diamond.
In order to choose a crystal that’s linked with a particular Chakra, it’s helpful to look at the crystal’s character, energy and colour and how it resonates with you. There’ll be many crystals associated with each Chakra and some will align with more than one Chakra.
Method #3: Choose a Crystal That Resonates with Your Astrological Sign
There are twelve astrological or zodiac signs, one of which is linked to your birthdate. Choosing a crystal linked to this astrological sign is useful if you don’t have a specific focus in mind.
- Aries (March 21 – April 19) – People born under the Aries star sign are ambitious and make good leaders. A selection of crystals for Ariens include carnelian, bloodstone, green jasper and citrine. Here’s my full guide to the best crystals for Aries.
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20) – Taureans like things to be predictable. They’re loyal and dependable. Crystals that resonate with them include jade, dioptase, malachite and amber. Check out my guide to the best crystals for Taurus.
- Gemini (May 21 – June 20) – People born under this star sign can be changeable and are good communicators, flexible and quick-witted. Some stones that align with Gemini are howlite, agate, celestite and dalmatian stone. Click here to view the best crystals for Gemini.
- Cancer (June 21 – July 22) – Cancerians are nurturing, devoted and compassionate. They resonate well with the energies of emerald, pearl, moonstone and red jasper. Here are the best crystals for the Cancer Zodiac.
- Leo (July 23 – August 22) – People born under Leo have high self-esteem and are assertive and vibrant. Onyx, carnelian, pyrite and golden topaz all resonate with a Leo’s energy. Click here to view the best crystals for Leo.
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22) – This star sign is centred around helping people and caring for the planet. Crystals for Virgos include blue tourmaline, peridot, green jade and moss agate.
- Libra (September 23 – October 22) – Librans are fun, artistic and intelligent. Sodalite, peridot, tourmaline and opal are all great crystals for this star sign. To learn more, read mu guide to crystals for Libras.
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21) – People who are born in the sign of Scorpio are passionate, sensitive, charismatic and independent. Aquamarine, smoky quartz, malachite, topaz and rhodochrosite resonate well with a Scorpio’s energy. For more information, read my article about crystals for Scorpio.
- Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21) – Sagittarians are sociable, optimistic and love travel. Stones that align with their energy include sodalite, turquoise, tiger’s eye and topaz. To learn more, read my article about crystals for Sagittarius.
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 19) – People in this star sign are ambitious, strong willed and self-disciplined. Some of the crystals that resonate with Capricorn are garnet, fluorite, and malachite. To learn more, read my guide to crystals for Capricorn.
- Aquarius (January 20 – February 18) – Aquarians like the truth in all things and are very independent. Stones that align with the Aquarian nature are garnet, amethyst, opal and turquoise. To learn more, read my guide to the best crystals for Aquarius.
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20) – Pisceans put their friends before themselves and care about achieving goals and fulfilling their dreams. Some of the stones that resonate with Pisces are angelite, aquamarine, sapphire and amethyst. To learn more, read my guide to crystals for Pisces.
How to Choose the Exact Crystal for your Purpose
Once you’ve decided on the type of stone for your purpose, the next thing is to pick the right crystal for you.
The single most important advice I can give is to trust your intuition. There isn’t a right or wrong way to choose a crystal, but you should be looking to feel a connection. I can’t emphasis this strongly enough.
You also shouldn’t worry about making a bad choice. All gemstones hold the imprint of their specific structure and energy, so any crystal of a specific type will support your intentions. What we’re tinkering with is a specific crystal’s vibration and how it resonates with your particular energy field.
Tip: It’s always safe to combine crystals, and often this can provide additional benefits. Click here to read my full guide to combining crystals.
How to Know You’ve Found the Right Crystal
If you get a powerful tingling sensation as you hold a crystal, there’s nothing more I can tell you – buy that crystal!
But if you’re inexperienced or not sure which to choose, here are a few tips to help you.
When you’re holding a crystal or looking at a picture, try and feel the energy that emanates from it.
Does it give you a sense of calm or inner knowing? Does it fill you with excitement or the sense of possibilities? Do you feel physical sensations such as heat or tingling? Any positive emotions indicate it’s a good choice.
If you’re in a crystal store, you can also pick up various crystals and note how you feel. If you find yourself drawn back to a stone you’ve already put down, this is the one that wants to come home with you. You may also feel that you can’t put down a specific crystal.
Another technique is to notice where your eyes are drawn as you first look at a selection or even a photo. This will be a good indication of the perfect crystal.
Don’t choose a stone solely because of its size, shape, cost, colour, shine or sparkle though – these are contributory factors, but not essential. Sometimes the most improbable crystal will be the one best aligned to you.
Here are a few more tips:
- Close your eyes and allow your senses to do the work. This leaves your intuition to dance for you.
- Set an intention before you visit a shop or search online stores. There are many ways to do this, such as invoking an angel or asking your highest self.
- When you find the perfect crystal, you’ll fall in love with its positive energy. Even if it’s not the one you originally meant to buy!
- For more advanced work you can use a pendulum to dowse for the right crystal.
The main thing is to not overthink choosing a crystal. You can’t go wrong – so try to enjoy the process.
Internet Vs. Buying in Person
There are pros and cons to buying on the internet or in-person. There’s no “best” way to buy a gemstone, so I recommend combining both options depending on your needs.
The main advantage of buying off the internet is that you have a huge array of spiritual stores to choose from. Each of these stores has an abundance of crystals, including rare stones that are difficult to find in person.
You don’t get to hold a crystal when buying online, of course, but you can still intuitively choose from an image.
The downside is that an image may not represent the true essence, colour or size of what gets delivered. You probably won’t receive the exact crystal in the picture, but one that is similar. It’s also vital to find a store that is trustworthy and sells high-quality stones.
In contrast, you can use a hands-on approach when buying in person. The stone you receive is the specific one you were drawn to, which makes the techniques I mentioned earlier much easier. And, of course, you get to take it home with you so you can start working with it sooner!
The downside is that physical shops, spiritual fairs or street vendors don’t have the large crystal selection of online stores. If you’re looking for rare or unusual crystals, online shopping is probably easier.
Choosing a crystal is exciting. It opens a whole new world of spiritual empowerment and emotional healing.
But it’s not always easy or straightforward – especially as a beginner.
The first step is to determine your intention. Why do you want to use a crystal? What do you hope to gain from it?
Once you’ve picked an intention, it’s much easier to create a shortlist of crystal types. You can then start searching shops, internet stores, fairs and street vendors for a crystal that resonates with you.
It’s often said that you don’t choose a crystal, but the crystal chooses you – so try not to get stressed or anxious about getting the perfect one. You may even get lucky and receive one as a gift.
Go with your gut instinct and enjoy the experience! Once you’ve chosen your crystal, take a look at my article about what to do with a new crystal.
4 thoughts on “How to Choose a Healing Crystal That’s Right for You”
What would be the best gemstone for me as i am male Libra 26th September, ’78. I have tried alot of gems but haven’t ended up on any one till the date. For luck and health.
Hi Khalid, thank you for your comment. As a Libra born in September, you have a lovely choice of crystals for luck and health. Green aventurine, citrine, peridot, pyrite, amethyst and bloodstone are good ones to start with.
You may also want to read my crystals for Libras guide: https://angelgrotto.com/crystals-stones/libra/
What crystal would you recommend for good luck in a new career? 😊
Love Charlotte x
Hi Charlotte, thank you very much for your comment. Citrine is a lovely crystal for promoting success in business, helping you to attract wealth. Amazonite will push you towards your goal, giving you confidence in knowing what you truly want. Rose Quartz will promote inner belief. Also, green aventurine and sunstone would be good choices.
Love and blessings,