Dealing with grief can be painful and overwhelming. If you’re struggling with sadness, or are finding it hard to reach a point of acceptance, these nine crystals can help.
While grief is often due to the loss of a loved one or pet, it can be caused by anything from a relationship breakdown to health problems.
The main thing is to believe you’ll get through this. Love and forgiveness – both to yourself and others – are essential for moving forward.
You can also use the gentle energies of the healing crystals below to reach a place of acceptance. They can release the pain, shock, and sense of hopelessness that grief can often bring. Crystals also provide a loving support to help you through the grieving process.
Please note: While crystals and gemstones can support you through grief, they aren’t a substitute for speaking to your doctor of grief counsellor.
Which are the Best Healing Stones for Grief and Bereavement?
1. Pink Calcite (Stone of Peace)
Chakra: Heart, Crown
Origin: Belgium, UK, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Mexico, Peru, USA, Bulgaria
The tender energy of pink calcite complements feelings of loss and grief. By wrapping your heart in a metaphysical blanket, this crystal encourages you to give yourself time and to treat yourself kindly.
As a stone that connects with the angelic realms, these celestial beings will ensure you feel supported and are not alone through this period of mourning. This will give you a sense of peace and serenity.
Pink calcite, although gentle, is also a powerful ally for releasing past emotional trauma or suffering. By opening and activating your Heart Chakra, it’ll enable emotional peace through easing symptoms of anger, fear or grief. A new sense of hope for the future can then flow to you.
Note: Pink calcite is also known as mangano calcite or manganoan calcite.
Tip for Using Pink Calcite: Pink calcite is a wonderful crystal to meditate with. It’ll help you come to terms with your loss and fill you with loving energies and renewed self-confidence.Buy Mangano Calcite Stone
2. Lepidolite (Stone of Transition, Stone of Peace)
Colour: Purple, Pink
Chakra: Third Eye, Throat, Crown and Heart
Origin: Czech Republic, Brazil, USA, Dominican Republic, Madagascar
Lepidolite’s nurturing energy is perfect when grief is causing mood swings, depression, fear or anxiety. It contains lithium, a drug used for mental health, and has a lovely calming influence.
Named from the Greek word for ‘scales,’ lepidolite’s balancing nature restores a sense of ‘normality’ into a very difficult period. If things feel bleak, lepidolite will offer comfort and show you that even during the darkest periods there’s light ahead.
Getting a good night’s rest is also important when grieving, so why not let lepidolite soothe and help you sleep better by placing a piece under your pillow?
Tip for Using Lepidolite: Wear a lepidolite necklace to lessen feelings of depression and protect you from outside influences. It will also help you to remain emotionally balanced.
3. Apache Tear
Colour: Dark Brown/Black
Chakra: Root, Third Eye
Origin: Mexico, USA
Apache tear is a form of obsidian. It’s named after a tragic Apache Indian story, when warriors jumped to their deaths to escape capture by cavalry. The women’s tears were said to have fallen to the ground and solidified into these dark teardrops.
So, as an empathetic stone, it’s one to choose when you need to promote emotional healing. Much like the tribal women who needed to come to a level of acceptance, apache tear will help you to forgive yourself and others.
This is a spiritual stone that’ll guide you through difficult times, helping you to release trapped emotions once you’ve truly acknowledged them.
Tip for Using Apache Tear: If you want to bring a sense of happiness whilst you grieve, combine lepidolite with apache tear.Buy Apache Tear Stones
4. Amethyst (Stone of Spirituality and Transformation)
Colour: Purple to Lavender
Chakra: Crown and Third Eye
Origin: USA, Mexico, Canada, Russia, India, Sri Lanka, Britain, Brazil, Uruguay, Siberia, Africa
Amethyst’s high vibration cleanses and protects you through times of grieving. This is so important, particularly when things may seem hopeless, as this strong emotion could draw negative energy to you.
In Ancient Times they would perform rituals using amethyst for just this reason, to ward off unwanted spirits.
As a Stone of Transformation, amethyst’s calming nature soothes your mind and brings emotional comfort. It’s not always easy to see that new beginnings start from such a painful place, but to love and release is a sign of spiritual mastery.
If you’re mourning a loss, or supporting someone who is, amethyst, being a mind centred energy, will help you find the right words to say. It’ll allow you to keep a much clearer head and promote inner wisdom and peace.
5. Chrysoprase (Stone of Abundance and Truth)
Colour: Yellow Green to Deep Green
Chakra: Sacral, Heart
Origin: Brazil, Russia. USA, Poland, Tanzania, Australia
Chrysoprase’s Heart Centred energy is just what you need when betrayal has left you feeling emotionally exhausted and abandoned.
Grieving the end of a relationship can be tough. We often blame ourselves or other people for their part in it. But true forgiveness comes from within and starts the healing process.
Chrysoprase, being the Stone of Venus, will help you restore emotional balance and give you the belief that all is possible. You’re lovable – and this uplifting crystal will help you to believe it!
Also, chrysoprase is a beautiful crystal for healing childhood wounds. It’ll release painful emotional events and griefs so you can move forward.
6. Black Onyx
Origin: USA, Mexico, Brazil, Russia, Italy, South Africa, Pakistan, India, Germany
Black onyx is a natural protector. It’ll protect you from negative energies and thoughts, even when all around you seems to have turned into chaos.
By easing emotional pressure, black onyx will take you beyond the immediacy of grief. It’ll promote renewed confidence and vigour to step forward into a new life.
This stone will support you when suffering from the loss of a relationship. If you need help with moving on from long-standing anguish or a previous relationship that you’re struggling to let go of, black onyx is a good choice.
Also, as a stone for past-life regression work, it’ll heal ‘old’ physical injuries or trauma. This will encourage healing on an etheric level which, in turn, releases old sorrows from influencing you.
Note: It’s advisable to cleanse black onyx regularly, due to the strong emotions that surround loss.
7. Smokey Quartz (Stone of Cooperation)
Colour: Light to Dark Smokey Grey/Brown
Chakra: Root and Crown
Smokey quartz is one of my mainstay crystals at a time of loss. Renowned for its powerful grounding energy, this stone’s ability to emotionally realign you is paramount for the healing process.
Negativity is unavoidable in the depths of grief. Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, despondency, anger, feelings of loss and abandonment are all common. Smokey quartz’ energetic resonance acts as a buffer, reducing shock and helping you overcome even the darkest of periods.
This crystal offers grief support like your own personal bodyguard. It’ll protect you and help you to feel secure.Buy Smokey Quartz Point
8. Rose Quartz (Stone of Unconditional Love)
Origin: USA, Japan, India, Brazil, Madagascar, South Africa, Argentina, Mexico
Rose quartz is probably the most heart-centred crystal. As a stone of forgiveness, compassion and unconditional love, it inspires you to see beauty in yourself and what’s around you. This will help you to let go of hurt caused by the loss of a loved one or the breakdown of a relationship.
Self-love and self-forgiveness are often forgotten when going through traumatic experiences, being replaced with feelings of self-doubt, guilt and grief. The beautiful energy of rose quartz will support and comfort you through this period, filling you with love so you can heal from this crisis.
If you need to restore trust in a relationship, rose quartz is a good choice.
9. Citrine (The Lucky Merchant’s Stone)
Colour: Yellow, ranging from pale to honey or even brown
Chakra: Solar Plexus but also activates the Crown Chakra
Origin: Brazil, France, Madagascar, Russia, UK, USA
Citrine’s sunny energy is ready to help when it’s time to move on. Having been through a period of grieving, whether that’s due to a loss of a job, home or a loved one, citrine will restore balance in your Solar Plexus to increase your energy levels.
If your grieving stems from work or financial matters, citrine will bring you luck and help you regain confidence for a new project.
This light energetic crystal will dispel negativity, which will help you to overcome emotional upsets and put a smile back on your face.Buy Citrine Pendant
BONUS CRYSTAL: Indicolite Quartz
Indicolite quartz is a high vibration crystal that can drown out sorrow and replace it with optimism and acceptance.
It’s a rare type of blue tourmaline found in mineral deposits and high temperature hydrothermal veins. The name comes from the Latin for a blue coloured plant, Indicum.
A lovely feature of indicolite is that it reflects different shades depending on the angle you look at it, with the finest pieces coming from Brazil.
This stone aligns with the Throat Chakra. Its lovely energy helps you to talk about how you feel, clearing any blockages in that area. Combined with the clear headedness of quartz, it makes an inspiring crystal.
If you’re lucky enough to own indicolite crystal, keep it close to you through the grieving process.
Other Tips for Using Grief Crystals and Stones
Healing crystals can support and strengthen you during a time of grief. Play around with different methods to see which suggestion feels right to you.
Here are some of the ways I like to use them:
- Meditation is a lovely way to ‘get out of your head’ and spend time on your own needs. This will help you to understand your grief and find stillness.
- When grieving, self-care often gets forgotten. Use elixirs, with your favourite grieving crystal, to support you through this challenging period (make sure they are suitable to be used in elixirs.)
- Surround yourself with healing crystals aligned with the grieving energy. You can place them in your bedroom, car, living room – anywhere you regularly spend time. Not only will this help you, but it’ll help anyone else who lives there.
- Jewellery is a wonderful way to ensure a crystal stays within your energy field. Any grieving crystal can work, but wearing a rose quartz, pink calcite or chrysoprase pendant over your heart can be particularly beneficial. Lepidolite necklaces are also a great choice.
- At times of stress and heartbreak, the self-love bath ritual will boost your sense of well-being and help you relax.
- Place a grief crystal grid around your bed to support you as you sleep. If you find a combination of energies too much during this fragile period, try reducing to one or two types of stone.
- If your grieving is making you anxious, try gently rubbing worry beads and stones as a way to reduce the symptoms. This can make you feel calmer and reduce negative thoughts.
Which Angels are Associated With Grief?
Angels are particularly supportive when we’re facing loss. The ones I most associate with grief are:
- Archangel Azrael – Archangel Azrael’s name means ‘He who helps God.’ This Angel comforts you through emotional stress and grief, helping you to let go of anger or guilt. He resonates with pale yellow colour, so use yellow calcite or citrine.
- Archangel Chamuel – This is an Angel of peace and comfort, who you can invoke to resolve any arguments as a result of loss. Green fluorite or chrysoprase align well with this angel, as do red jasper and pink tourmaline.
- Archangel Raphael – The angel of healing is a good choice should your loss involve medical concerns or emotional hurt. Archangel Raphael resonates on the emerald green ray – particularly emerald or malachite.
- Archangel Gabriel – Moonstone, citrine and selenite are wonderful crystals to use when invoking The Messenger of God to help you. By entrusting your heart to this angel while you grieve, He will bring you comfort and peace.
- Archangel Michael – Archangel Michael will help you accept change and give you the courage needed. Blue kyanite – The Sword of Truth, will support you, as will sugilite.
Feelings of sadness, shock, anger and hopelessness can be overwhelming when you’re grieving.
These crystals will help you through this difficult time. They’ll encourage you to forgive and accept life’s changing rhythms, whilst supporting and comforting you through the journey.
My favourite crystal for grief is pink calcite. It has such a comforting, gentle nature that makes me feel secure and loved. I wouldn’t be without this crystal during times of loss.