Fire agate is a protective crystal that’s associated with creativity and grounding. Here’s my guide to fire agate’s healing properties, benefits and uses.
Fire agate is a calming stone that resonates with the Root and Sacral Chakra. It has a strong connection with Earth, making it a great crystal for creativity, grounding, and sexual confidence.
In this article, I’ll discuss fire agate’s healing properties and how to use it. I’ll also talk about the stone’s associated Chakras and Zodiac signs.
What is Fire Agate?
|Colour||Brownish Red, Orange, Gold, Green|
|Origin||Mexico, USA, Czech Republic, Iceland, Morocco, India, Brazil|
|Zodiac Signs||Gemini, Cancer, Aries, Scorpio|
Fire agate is a variety of chalcedony. It contains thin layers of limonite and goethite that are enclosed by the chalcedony. This combination provides the stone’s fiery appearance and vibrant iridescence.
Interestingly, fire agate formed during the Tertiary period of earth’s history. This was a time of extensive volcanic activity, leading to agate deposits around the world. Although most modern agates are dyed, fire agate’s colour is a natural consequence of its formation process.
Today, the USA and Mexico are two of the most common areas to find fire agate. Most people believe that the best stones come from Brazil though.
What Are Aqua Fire Agate and Orange Fire Agate?
Aqua fire agate and orange fire agate are (usually) artificially dyed crystals. They still provide the healing properties of agate, but the new colour vibration won’t link as strongly with the associated Chakra.
Orange fire agate can be found naturally, although this is rare. If you’re lucky enough to have a piece, it’s great for unblocking your Sacral Chakra. With a joyful energy, it inspires passion and creativity, while healing any self-esteem issues.
The Healing Properties of Fire Agate
Fire agates healing properties include those associated with the agate family, along with additional benefits due to its iron oxide inclusions.
Here are four of the most important examples, but agate crystals are also great for balancing yin-yang energies and stabilising the aura.
Fire agate is associated with the Sacral Chakra, the centre for your creativity. It’s a powerful stone for reawakening your inner creative talents and unblocking this vital energy centre.
By opening your channels to Divine inspiration, fire agate helps you to find novel solutions and overcome creative blocks. It also reduces fear and prevents procrastination.
Fire agate is a fabulous stone for protection. It wraps a protective shield around your aura, returning the culprit’s negativity and teaching them the harm they are doing.
This crystal can also prevent psychic attack when astral travelling. Fire agate will protect your aura and help to make you feel safe, even when asleep.
Grounding & Stability
Fire agate has a deep connection with Earth. It drives excess energy or negativity down to the Root Chakra, where it can ground into Earth.
This crystal is also useful when working with high vibrational stones to achieve spiritual growth. Fire agate provides inner stability, which keeps you firmly grounded and prevents you from feeling lightheaded or disconnected.
Fire agate is a stone of sexuality. It promotes passion and sensuality, while helping to clear blockages in the Sacral Chakra.
Fire agate also awakens the Kundalini, which is a sexual energy and a major source of inner power. Some people even believe it can act like an aphrodisiac by balancing the reproductive areas.
Which Chakras Are Associated With Fire Agate?
Fire agate cleanses the Root Chakra, which is the centre for stability, grounding and self-preservation.
This crystal helps to release blocks which interfere with your sense of security. It also grounds you into the present moment and boosts your courage.
Fire agate is a wonderful stone for the Sacral Chakra, your centre of creativity. It awakens your creative talents and encourages a deeper connection with Divine inspiration.
This crystal also balances the yin-yang energies of the emotional body. Balancing these energies helps you to overcome a lack of confidence and fear of taking creative risks.
As the Sacral Chakra is the centre of sexuality and pleasure, fire agate also boosts sexual confidence.
Which Zodiac Signs Are Associated With Fire Agate?
Fire agate is a zodiac stone of Gemini. People born under this sign are often lively, can communicate well and are full of good ideas. But sometimes stress and over-thinking can become a problem for you.
This stone will help you to feel more grounded. Fire agate will also help you to see the bigger picture, rather than ruminating on small details.
Fire agate promotes a sense of security to people born under the star sign of Cancer. As a sensitive zodiac sign, the strengthening energies of fire agate brings resilience and confidence.
As well as encouraging confidence, fire agate balances your yin-yang energies as it grounds you to Earth. The powerful reaction creates emotional stability.
Fire agate is an Aries birthstone. It inspires passion and courage, but also teaches patience when it’s required.
As a fire sign, this crystal is the perfect stone for when Aries needs a confidence boost.
Fire agate is a moon stone for the zodiac sign of Scorpio. It can increase your confidence and helps you to trust yourself.
Also, as a passionate zodiac sign, Scorpios resonate with this stone of sexuality.
How to Cleanse Fire Agate
Fire agate is a fabulous stone for eliminating negative energy. As a result, it needs cleansing regularly.
Avoid using sunlight, as the bright rays can cause your stone to fade. Here are a few methods I use for cleansing fire agate:
- Water. As fire agate is formed in water, this makes a great method to use when cleansing it. I prefer to use springs or streams, but water from a tap is also suitable. Let the water run over your crystal for three to five minutes, or until you feel your stone has been cleansed.
- Smudging. Smudging is an ancient technique that uses the cleansing power of smoke to rid your crystal of negativity. This method is particularly effective for fire agate, as smoke and fire resonates with this stone. Let your smudging sticks, herbs or white sage smoulder in a fireproof container. Hold your fire agate crystal in the smoke for up to a minute. Be sure to keep focused on your intention during the process.
- Burying. As a grounding crystal, fire agate benefits from cleansing in the soil. You can either place fire agate in the soil or, as I prefer to do, seal it in a glass jar before burying it. Leave the stone for around a week and make sure you mark where you buried it!
How to Charge Fire Agate
Crystals can become temporarily depleted of healing energy once they’ve been used. By charging it, you’ll return the crystal to its peak performance.
Having first cleansed your fire agate, there are several methods you can use to charge it. Here are two:
- Selenite. Selenite is a wonderful method for charging fire agate. Place your stone on a selenite slab or in a bowl to provide plenty of contact between the crystals. Leave your fire agate charging for at least six hours.
- Sound. Sound is a quick way to restore the healing vibration to your crystal. Place your fire agate beside the singing bowl and play a single note loudly. Do this until you intuitively feel that your stone is charged and ready to be used again.
How to Care for Fire Agate
Fire agate is a beautiful crystal, but it’s important to care for your stone correctly to maintain its appearance.
I recommend wrapping fire agate in a natural soft cloth for storage. It’s a relatively hard stone, but it can still be scratched by harder crystals. There’s also a risk of it damaging softer stones if they are stored together.
Every stone needs cleaning occasionally, but avoid harsh household cleaners, as they may damage the surface of your crystal. Instead, use soapy water to clean it and dry the stone thoroughly with a soft cloth. Steam cleaners should also never be used on crystals.
Take off fire agate jewellery before going in the sea. The salt in seawater will expand tiny fissures, leading to a dull appearance and potentially causing cracks. Don’t wear fire agate in a swimming pool, as chlorine is corrosive.
As with all crystals, I don’t advise exposing your crystal to large temperature changes.
Can Fire Agate Get Wet?
Yes, fire agate can get wet, just so long as you don’t leave it in water for a long period of time.
Most crystals that are five or under on the Mohs hardness scale are considered unsafe to get wet. This is because they may dissolve or crack. Fire agate is a silicon dioxide and measures 6.5-7 for hardness, making it water safe.
Even so, fire agate may have small fissures that water can get into, causing them to open and crack. For this reason, I avoid soaking fire agate for long periods.
Additionally, if your fire agate is highly polished or oiled, soaking it in water may remove this finish.
Can Fire Agate Go in the Sun?
Most agates aren’t suitable to go in the sun, as they are dyed and the colour will fade. Fire agate is one of the few that isn’t dyed, but I still don’t recommend putting it in direct sunlight for long periods.
Being opaque, fire agate can tolerate a few hours of sunlight. But, like most crystals, it will eventually lose its colour.
How Can You Tell if Fire Agate Is Real?
Genuine fire agate is rare. Unfortunately, this means that fakes are common, with dyed carnelian, jasper or chalcedony being common culprits.
Here are a few tips to help you decide if your fire agate is real:
- Fire agate has a continuous colour that flows through the layers.
- If there are gas bubbles encased in the stone, it’s a fake.
- Fire agate has an iridescence which can’t be replicated in a fake.
- If your stone has a bright colour, it’s almost certainly dyed.
- Fire agate isn’t banded.
- Usually, fire agate will contain shades of brown, red, orange, green, purple or gold.
- Check where the fire agate came from. Most commercial stones come from Mexico or Arizona.
- Real fire agates don’t have cracks on the surface.
- As fire agate rates 6.5-7 on the hardness scale, it won’t scratch easily with a knife or finger nail.
- Fire agate is a dense stone and the weight reflects this.
- When you hold a piece of fire agate, it’ll warm up slowly as it’s a slow conductor of heat.
How to Use Fire Agate Crystals for the Best Results
Fire agate is a wonderful crystal to use in your healing practice. Here are some of my favourite ways to use it:
- Fire agate in jewellery, particularly in rings and bracelets, looks stunning. It’s a great way to keep the stone’s healing energy with you throughout the day. Although this isn’t a Heart Chakra crystal, it’s a good stone to wear over your heart to protect against stress.
- The fiery colours of fire agate are energetic and motivational. Make this your go-to stone for the morning, firing up your energy to face the day ahead. This stone is also useful for when you hit that mid-afternoon energy slump and need more confidence or motivation.
- Fire agate has a fabulous energy for promoting passion and creativity. Keep fire agate on your desk or in your work space to enhance your creative skills.
- As a stone for promoting your sexual energy, place fire agate in a grid under your bed. You can also keep it beside you on a bedside table.
- It’s said that fire agate is helpful for women going through the menopause. It helps them to understand the changes your body is making and prepare for the next chapter ahead.
Can Fire Agate Be Used With Other Crystals?
Yes, fire agate is a versatile crystal that can be used with many different stones.
Aside from other members of the agate family, here are some combinations I like to use for specific intentions:
- Larimar. Larimar has a gentle Earth energy that compliments fire agate. Together they’ll soothe stress, provide stability, and rebalance your emotions.
- Aegirine. Aegirine is useful for clearing negativity and offering protection. Combined with fire agate, it’s great for grounding when astral travelling, and will also protect your auric field from negative attachments.
- Amethyst. Amethyst has a high vibration that connects with the Universe. It boosts intuition and promotes inner reflection. Combined with fire agate, it’ll calm you as you analyse certain behaviours during meditation. By doing so it’ll be easier to overcome negative traits and bad habits.
What is Crackled Fire Agate?
Crackled fire agate is not fire agate. It’s formed when ordinary carnelian has been heated and cooled quickly to crack the mineral. The process creates a spider web type of effect on the stone, which is where it gets its name.
Fire Agate vs Carnelian
From the table below, you’ll see that fire agate and carnelian share some similar healing properties. Yet, there are some slight differences that may alter how you want to use them for crystal healing.
|Appearance||Brown-Red/Orange Iridescence||Solid Orange or Red|
|Chakra||Root, Sacral||Root for Red Carnelian, Sacral for Orange Carnelian|
|Healing Properties||Promote Creative Talents|
Courage to Push Through Procrastination
Boost Sexual Energy
|Promote Creative Talents|
Courage to Push Through Procrastination
Balances Sexual Energies
For example, fire agate will burn through negativity that may be holding you back from achieving your best. Carnelian will help you to fulfil your deepest creative desires
Both stones are energising, yet fire agate is also calming and offers you greater stability. Carnelian will spark your enthusiasm, fire agate will get it roaring.
Carnelian’s energy feels softer and more open. Fire agate’s energy is deep rooted, providing a more stable base to work from.
Which Angels Are Associated With Fire Agate?
The Angels that I most associate with fire agate are:
- Archangel Uriel. Uriel’s name means ‘Fire of God,’ and he will help ground your energy through the Root Chakra. I use fire agate to invoke this Angel for grounding.
- Archangel Michael. Michael encapsulates strength. I use fire agate to invoke Him for courage, confidence and protection.
- Archangel Camael. This Angel’s healing shade is the colour red, and He inspires courage. I invoke this Angel with fire agate when starting new projects or for self-confidence.
Fire agate is associated with the Root and Sacral Chakra. Its grounding energy promotes security and confidence, so you can make clear decisions.
This crystal keeps you in the now, lighting your inner life force so that creativity and sexuality will flourish.
Do you have any questions about fire agate? Please let me know in the comments section below.