Black moonstone is a mysterious crystal that carries the energy of new beginnings. Keep reading to learn about black moonstone’s healing properties, benefits, and associated Chakras.
Black moonstone is a protective stone that resonates with the Root and Crown Chakras. It supports new beginnings, making it a wonderful crystal for life changes, starting a business, or psychic development.
In this article, you’ll learn about black moonstone’s healing properties and how to use it. I’ve also compared it with other crystals, and discussed the Chakras and zodiac signs it resonates with.
What is Black Moonstone?
|Colour||Black-Grey with Brown, Tan or White Running Through It|
|Zodiac Signs||Cancer, Libra|
|Hardness||6 – 6.5|
Black moonstone consists of two types of feldspar, orthoclase and albite. It’s the rarest form of moonstone, as it can only be found in Madagascar.
This crystal has a beautiful shimmering appearance. It also has a perfect cleavage, which means it’s easy to split along the line of weakness.
The Healing Properties of Black Moonstone
Black moonstone provides many healing benefits, but it’s particularly useful for new beginnings, protection, and psychic development.
Black moonstone is a Stone for New Beginnings. The new moon symbolises fresh starts, and black moonstone resonates with this lunar energy.
The end of a period can often bring life changing decisions. Sometimes these endings can be painful, such as grieving the loss of a relationship or situation. With black moonstone guiding you to see the positive in an experience, you’ll feel more energised and confident to move forward.
This healing crystal also helps you notice important coincidences in life. These are often the universe guiding you through the process of growth.
Like many black crystals, black moonstone provides a range of protective properties.
Firstly, this gemstone is ideal for protecting your aura from negativity. It helps to restore your natural force field and protect against other people’s negative energies.
So, if you often feel emotionally weighed down by those around you, then it’s an excellent choice.
This crystal also protects you at night. By keeping black moonstone near as you sleep, your aura will be safeguarded from negative astral influence.
Black moonstone may even block the electromagnetic field coming from mobile phones or computers.
Black moonstone is known as a psychic stone. It’ll protect you during night journeying, but it’s also excellent for telepathy and clairvoyance.
When we receive messages, we need to be able to trust they are for our highest good. Black moonstone acts like a screen, ensuring that you only receive communication from the highest source.
This stone has become one of my favourite crystals to use for boosting intuition, particularly around the time of the new moon.
Which Chakras Are Linked With Black Moonstone?
Black moonstone is a wonderful stone for the Root Chakra. Its gentle, soft energy is grounding, while offering protection from negative influences.
As a type of moonstone, this crystal holds a high vibration. It helps you to intuitively work through deep-rooted emotional issues.
By cleansing yourself of these emotional blocks, your inner strength will improve. Then, with courage and determination, you’ll be ready to take on the next chapter in your life.
Black moonstone is the Stone of Intuition and Spiritual Purity, so it resonates with the Crown Chakra. This stone helps you to connect with your Higher Self, while keeping you firmly grounded to Earth.
When holding black moonstone, your Crown Chakra will open as it becomes energised. Intuition and spiritual learning will flood through as you ground it to earth.
Tip: Black moonstone can also be used with your Sacral, Throat, Heart and Solar Plexus Chakras. This is due to the stone’s high vibration and the different colours of the veins.
Which Zodiac Signs Are Associated With Black Moonstone?
Black moonstone is a birth, moon and ascendant crystal for people born under the zodiac sign of Cancer.
As an intuitive and psychic zodiac sign, Cancerians benefit from black moonstone’s intuitive properties. This stone can also guide you to be generous and kind, without becoming overbearing.
Anyone can benefit from black moonstone’s healing properties though – not just Cancerians!
How to Care for Black Moonstone
Black moonstone is a hard mineral that’s less likely to be scratched than softer crystals.
It’s still important to be careful with this stone, however, as it can easily split along its lines of weakness (known as the stone’s cleavage).
When storing, wrap the crystal in a soft cloth before placing it in your box. Avoid storing it in a bag or pouch with other stones, or you might risk it splitting.
It’s also important to protect black moonstone against extreme temperature changes, as this will cause it to break. Never use steam cleaners on this crystal for the same reason!
Can Black Moonstone Get Wet?
Yes, black moonstone can get wet. It’s a form of feldspar with a hardness of 6-6.5 on the Mohs scale. In general, crystals above 5 on the hardness scale won’t dissolve in water.
As this crystal is safe to get wet, you can wash it using water and a mild soap. Make sure to dry it afterwards using a soft cloth.
It’s always advisable to remove crystals jewellery before having a bath, swimming or using cleaning products though. I also don’t recommend leaving black moonstone in water for long periods of time, as this can damage the stone’s surface or cause small cracks to widen.
How to Cleanse Black Moonstone
Black moonstone has some wonderful healing properties. However, like most crystals, it can absorb negative energy from its environment.
Cleansing a crystal removes this negative energy. Here are three of my favourite cleansing methods for black moonstone:
- Moonlight. Black moonstone resonates with lunar energy, so moonlight is my top recommendation for cleansing this crystal. The most powerful time to cleanse is during the three-day period over the full moon, but any time during the lunar cycle can be effective. Place the stone on the ground or a natural material and leave it overnight. Don’t worry about clouds when cleansing your crystal, but cover the crystal with a glass bowl (or leave it on an indoor windowsill) if there’s a chance of rain.
- Smudging. Smudging is a lovely method for cleansing. Hold the stone in the smoke of smouldering incense sticks, smudge sticks, or bundles of dried herbs for around 30-60 seconds. Remember to maintain your focus on the intention of cleansing.
- Selenite. I love using selenite for cleansing black moonstone, as both crystals resonate with divine feminine energy and hold high vibrations. If your stone is small enough, use a selenite bowl or plate. Your black moonstone can then make direct contact with the selenite, which means the process takes around 6 -12 hours. If you’re using a selenite point or tower to cleanse your crystal, this can take up to 24 hours.
Tip: A bonus of cleansing with moonlight or selenite is that these methods also charge your crystals.
Can This Crystal Go in the Sun?
The quick answer is yes; black moonstone can go in the sun for short periods.
That said, I prefer to place it in the shade or on a windowsill that doesn’t get direct sunlight.
The sun’s rays can be powerful and cause a crystal to fade or become brittle. By placing your stone outside of direct rays, it’ll benefit from the cleansing and energising effect without the risk of damage.
Although black moonstone resonates with the moon, the occasional sun bath helps to re-establish its yin-yang balance.
How Do I Know If My Black Moonstone Is Real?
Black moonstone is rare, as it’s only found in Madagascar. Unfortunately, this means that fakes are common.
Here are some tips to help you to identify if black moonstone is real:
- Black moonstone has a cat’s eye shimmer. When you move it around in light you should be able to see this effect.
- This crystal forms in layers, so if a stone has a solid colour then it won’t be genuine black moonstone.
- Black moonstone isn’t a great conductor of heat. When you hold it, it should remain cool for a while. If it feels warm quickly, it’s unlikely to be a black moonstone.
- If the stone has come from a country other than Madagascar, it most likely is not black moonstone. Always ask for authentication if you’re unsure.
- If the crystal looks perfect but is inexpensive, then it is almost certainly a fake.
- Black moonstone is hard to carve due to its natural fault. It’s more common to find tumbled black moonstone, although you can get some genuine carved stones.
How to Use Black Moonstone Crystals for the Best Results
There’s no right or wrong way to use black moonstone, but here are a few tips to help you benefit from its healing properties.
- Black moonstone is fabulous to use when meditating. It has an inner stillness that encourages calm and focus, so you can listen to your inner guidance.
- This stone has a renewing energy. It’s also connected with the Divine Feminine and the lunar cycle, making it wonderful for balancing the female hormonal cycle. During your monthly cycles, menopause, pregnancy and childbirth, wear black moonstone in jewellery.
- Keep it in your pocket to remain connected with its energy throughout the day.
- Black moonstone has a wonderful calming energy. Place a grid of black moonstone around your house to encourage a calm home life.
Black Moonstone in Jewellery
Black moonstone works well in jewellery. With its natural shimmer and powerful healing properties, it looks stunning when set into pieces. I always look for jewellery where the stone is set deeper, particularly in rings and bracelets, to protect it from knocks.
Black moonstone bracelets, with their lunar sheen, are beautiful to look at. By wearing it on your wrist or ankle, you’ll gain a strong connection to Mother Earth.
This connection will provide continuous security and grounding as you go about your day.
Black moonstone earrings are particularly attractive due to this stone’s natural iridescence. Wearing black moonstone in earrings also help you to connect with spiritual powers and develop higher intuition.
Black moonstone rings are great for balancing the female reproductive system. You could wear a black moonstone ring on each hand to enhance the feeling of balance. These rings will also help to keep away unwanted negative attention.
Black moonstone is calming and nurturing. Wear black moonstone in a necklace that sits against the skin to enhance inner peace.
Black Moonstone Affirmation
Affirmations are powerful tools for harnessing positive thought. Here is how I like to use black moonstone when practising a positive affirmation:
- Set aside a few minutes each day to practise your black moonstone affirmation. I do my affirmations first thing in the morning, after a brief meditation.
- Align your intention with black moonstone’s healing properties. As black moonstone is a psychic stone with a high vibration, it’s perfect for increasing intuition, focus, and new beginnings.
- Choose one goal. It’s far more powerful to only focus on one intention per affirmation.
- Be positive and focused. The most effective affirmations are spoken in the present tense, as if you already have what you desire. An example of a positive affirmation is ‘I confidently and successfully take this next step in my life’, or ‘I trust my intuition’.
- Holding the crystal, allow your Crown Chakra to open. This is an important part of the process, as it connects you with your higher self. Take several deep breaths to centre yourself and absorb this new state of consciousness.
- Recite your affirmations several times. I like to do this facing a mirror, as if I am speaking back to myself.
Can Black Moonstone Be Used With Other Crystals?
Black moonstone can be used with any other moonstone crystal. I also like to combine it with the following crystals depending on my intention:
- Garnet. Garnet and black moonstone make a fabulous team for new beginnings. Garnet strengthens your survival spirit and inspires action. Black moonstone, as a Stone of New Beginnings, works towards emotional balance and opens your mind to fresh starts.
- Charoite. Charoite and black moonstone are super stones for developing intuition and focus. They both connect with the Crown Chakra, while drawing on the Earth’s energies to keep you grounded as you open yourself to inner knowledge.
- Black Tourmaline. Black tourmaline is a powerful stone for protection. It transmutes negative energies into positive. Black moonstone protects your aura from both the physical and astral worlds. Together they surround you with a strong metaphysical field, protecting you from unwanted energy and other people’s negativity.
Comparison With Other Crystals
Black moonstone and rainbow moonstone are noticeably different in colour.
Black moonstone is grey-black, with brown, tan, cream, or peach running through it. Rainbow moonstone is milky white and has flashes of blue, although it can contain inclusions of black tourmaline.
Both stones resonate with the Crown Chakra, although black moonstone also has a strong affiliation with the Root Chakra. Rainbow moonstone is connected with the Throat Chakra.
They share similar healing properties, such as improved intuition and emotional balance. Yet black moonstone carries the new moon energy within it, and offers protection from negativity. Rainbow moonstone excels at bringing the best out in people.
Black moonstone and labradorite might seem similar at first glance, but they have several visual differences.
The most obvious is that labradorite reflects a broad spectrum of colours, while black moonstone has a silvery shimmer and contains peach veins.
In terms of healing properties, black moonstone is associated with the Root and Crown Chakras. Labradorite is connected with the Throat Chakra and Third Eye. Both are psychic stones, developing intuition and clairvoyance, but they also hold different healing purposes.
Labradorite, as a Stone of Magic, encourages you to trust in your intuition. It enhances mental abilities, teaches wisdom and brings good fortune.
Black moonstone connects you to the Divine Feminine. It protects you from negativity and carries the energy of new beginnings.
Black moonstone and larvikite have similar grey-black appearances. They are also both made from varieties of feldspar, although larvikite contains other minerals such as zircon and magnetite.
Larvikite has similar healing properties to black moonstone, including protection against negative energies and boosting intuition. These stones can still be used together, however, as they often achieve a specific intention in different ways.
While both these crystals are great for grounding, there are many differences between black moonstone and black tourmaline.
Black moonstone is much rarer and connects with the Crown Chakra and Root Chakra. In contrast, black tourmaline is only associated with the Root Chakra.
They also have different energies. Black moonstone has a feminine energy, while black tourmaline is a powerful stone for easing negative emotions.
Which Angels Are Associated With This Crystal?
The angels I associate with black moonstone are:
- Archangel Haniel – Archangel Haniel is the Angel of the moon cycles. He helps you with manifesting your intentions. I use black moonstone when invoking Him for starting new projects or setting new intentions.
- Archangel Gabriel – This archangel is known as the Messenger of God. Gabriel empowers you to trust and develop your intuition. Gabriel resonates on the Ray of Divine love and I use black moonstone when invoking Him.
Black moonstone protects your aura from negativity and has a nurturing energy. It’s associated with the Root and Crown Chakras, making it useful for psychic development and grounding.
As a Stone of New Beginnings, black moonstone is also great for setting new intentions and starting new projects.
If you have any questions about black moonstone, please get in touch using the comments form below.