Black jasper is a compassionate crystal that’s associated with grounding and protection. Let’s take a closer look at black jasper’s healing properties, chakras, and zodiac signs.
Black jasper is a loving stone that connects to the Earth’s energy via the Root Chakra. This makes it a fabulous stone for grounding, protection, and manifesting.
In this article, I’ll discuss black jasper’s healing properties and my favourite ways to use it. You’ll also learn how to cleanse and care for black jasper.
What is Black Jasper?
|Zodiac Signs||Scorpio, Aries, Leo, Cancer|
Black jasper is one of the rarest forms of jasper. It’s found around the world, but there are significant deposits in Russia, USA, Australia, Madagascar, Brazil, India and Venezuela.
This crystal forms during a volcanic eruption. It’s a dense, opaque form of chalcedony (a type of quartz) that contains approximately 20% foreign materials.
Like all jasper crystals, black jasper breaks along a smooth surface (called cleavage.) It’s also a hard mineral that can be cut and polished, making it a popular stone for carving and tumbling.
Note: Black jasper is also referred to as basanite, Lydian stone, radiolarite and blackstone.
Black Jasper Meaning
Black jasper is closely linked to the Root Chakra. This makes it a powerful stone for grounding and balance, while providing protection against negative energies.
Black jasper is also a stone for manifestation. It grounds you in the present moment and helps turn your ideas into successful projects.
Black Jasper Healing Properties
Black jasper provides the same benefits as other jasper crystals. These include balancing the yin yang energies and strengthening the emotional body.
Along with these benefits, black jasper also helps with manifestation, grounding, and protection. In this section, I’ll focus on the healing properties that are specific to black jasper.
Black jasper is a wonderful stone for manifestation – particularly for aspirations related to wealth.
This crystal grounds through the Root Chakra, which reduces negative thoughts and self-limiting beliefs. Negativity can interfere with the manifestation process, so black jasper can increase your chances of success.
Black jasper also inspires creativity and focus. By keeping your creative juices flowing, this stone helps turn money-making ideas into results.
Related Article: How to Manifest With Crystals
Grounding & Stability
Black jasper is associated with the Root Chakra, which is the Centre for grounding and stability.
When the Root Chakra is unbalanced, you may feel restless or insecure. An imbalance can even cause physical symptoms such as vertigo or dizziness.
All of these issues can be reduced by using black jasper to re-balance the Root Chakra. The stone’s grounding energy can also relieve stress and help you stay in the present moment.
Black jasper is a powerful stone for protection. In particular, black jasper blocks negative energy caused by other people’s jealousy, gossip, and unkind comments.
This stone can also help you cut ties with people who have a negative impact on your life. Removing someone from your life is never easy, but black jasper can highlight when it’s a necessary decision.
Everyone can benefit from black jasper’s protection, but it’s most useful for empaths. So, if you’re often drained by other people’s negative energy, then black jasper is a great choice to carry with you.
Which Chakras Are Associated With Black Jasper?
Black jasper is a stone for balancing the Root Chakra. This Energy Centre is responsible for grounding and stability, while also giving a sense of security.
When the Root Chakra is balanced, you’ll feel a deep connection with Mother Earth. This bond boosts your confidence and improves emotional stability.
Black jasper connects through the Root Chakra. It can align and balance this Energy Centre, which helps your inner confidence to flourish. A properly aligned Root Chakra also improves drive, motivation and focus.
So, whether you need courage to make important life choices, or want to improve your emotional stability, black jasper’s connection to the Root Chakra makes it a potent crystal.
Which Zodiac Signs Are Associated With Black Jasper?
Scorpios have many positive traits, but they can sometimes become obsessive, controlling, or over-sensitive.
Black jasper protects against negative influences, such as anger and resentment. This protection helps a Scorpio avoid obsessive behaviour and stop worrying what others think.
Aries can struggle with motivation – especially during a long project. When this happens, they may start to feel restless or lose interest.
Black jasper’s grounding energy can give a quick boost to a Scorpio’s focus and commitment.
Leos can be impulsive. A combination of ego and self-doubt can often cause this star sign to make poor decisions in the moment.
Black jasper is a powerful grounding and protective stone. It provides emotional balance, while relieving negative energy. This helps Leos to overcome fears and anxieties that may hold them back.
Home and security are important to Cancerians. Black jasper helps this zodiac sign to feel rooted and secure.
Black jasper is also a wonderful stone for relieving a Cancerian’s stress and anxiety. By reducing or eliminating these feelings, it’s much easier to take positive action.
How to Care for Black Jasper
Black jasper rates as seven on the Mohs hardness scale. This means it’s a hard mineral that isn’t easily scratched by softer stones.
You can wash black jasper in soapy water without worrying about it dissolving or cracking. It’s also safe to gently rub it with a soft cloth, but make sure you thoroughly rinse and dry the crystal after cleaning.
Don’t use household cleaners, acid, salt, or vinegar when cleaning black jasper though. These are corrosive and may damage the stone’s appearance. Jasper crystals may also become brittle if exposed to heat.
When storing black jasper, I recommend wrapping it in a soft and natural material. While it’s unlikely to be scratched by most stones, it could damage softer minerals in your collection.
Can Black Jasper Get Wet?
Yes, black jasper can go in water for a short time. Crystals rating six or above on the Mohs hardness scale are (usually) water-safe, and black jasper has a rating of seven.
However, as black jasper contains small amounts of iron, it could rust if it’s left in water for long periods. Additionally, water could remove the sheen of a highly polished crystal.
For these reasons, I don’t recommend leaving black jasper in water for more than a few minutes. You should also avoid using salt water to cleanse this crystal.
How to Cleanse Black Jasper
Black jasper is connected to the Root Chakra and is great for protection, grounding and stability. Yet, like most crystals, it absorbs unwanted energies from its environment.
You need to cleanse black jasper regularly to remove negative energy. After cleansing, you should also charge this stone to restore its healing capabilities.
As black jasper connects through the earth, I like to use the burying method for cleansing and charging this stone:
- Find a suitable location. Choose a peaceful outdoor location where the black jasper won’t be disturbed. You can also use a flower pot filled with earth if you don’t have access to a garden.
- Place the black jasper in a glass container. This makes it much easier to find the gemstone once the cleansing process is complete.
- Bury the stone. You only need to bury black jasper under a few inches of soil. As long as the gemstone is fully covered, the cleansing magic will happen. Make sure you mark where you’ve buried it!
- Leave the buried stone for 3-7 days. Your crystal should now be cleansed and charged.
Burying black jasper isn’t the only way to cleanse it. Here are two other methods for cleansing this stone:
- Smudging. Smudging is a traditional cleansing method that uses the smoke of smouldering dried herbs or sage. Make sure to use a fire proof dish to catch any embers, and hold your black jasper in the smoke for up to a minute. Remember to keep your intention on cleansing throughout the process.
- Moonlight. Moonlight is a gentle method for cleansing and charging black jasper. Place your stone on a natural surface under the moonlight. Cover it with a glass bowl if there is a risk of rain, and leave it to cleanse throughout the night. You don’t need direct moonlight for this method.
Can Black Jasper Go in the Sun?
Many black stones are tolerant of sunlight for short periods. Unfortunately, strong UV light can cause black jasper to fade and become brittle, so I don’t recommend leaving it in the sun for long periods.
If you want to give your black jasper a sun bath, put it outside in the early morning or late afternoon when the rays are less intense.
How Do I Know If My Black Jasper Is Real?
Black jasper is a rare and desirable stone, so be cautious of fakes. Here are a few tips for identifying a genuine black jasper crystal:
- Black jasper is a hard stone that rates as seven on the Mohs hardness scale. It can scratch glass and should not be scratchable with a penknife.
- Black jasper is a dense stone that has a hefty feel. If your stone feels light, it could be glass or plastic.
- Genuine black jasper is opaque. To test this, shine a torch through the stone. If the stone is semi-transparent, it could be a dyed chalcedony or agate.
- A polished black jasper stone has a glassy shine.
- Jaspers are often given trade names. If you’re told an unusual name by a seller, be cautious.
How to Use Black Jasper Crystals for the Best Results
There are many ways to use black jasper to ground through the Root Chakra. A few of my favourites include:
- As black jasper is associated with the Root Chakra, wear it in jewellery such as anklets, bracelets or rings. You can also wear it on a belt. This keeps you grounded, while clearing and balancing the Root Chakra.
- Meditate with black jasper. It’ll add a calm focus to your practice.
- If you’re looking for a crystal to help you lose weight, black jasper is a good choice. Its grounding energy encourages healthy habits and helps you stick to your plan.
- As a stone for manifestation, particularly of money, carry a piece of black jasper in your pocket or purse throughout the day.
- Black jasper is a fabulous stone for scrying. As a divination tool, the stone will help you to see the future. It’s also useful for interpreting dreams.
Can Black Jasper Be Used With Other Crystals?
Black jasper can be combined with other types of jasper or members of the quartz family. I also recommend combining black jasper with the following three crystals for specific intentions:
- Kunzite. Kunzite has a high vibration that energises the Heart Chakra. Its gentle energy encourages you to listen to your heart. Together with black jasper, it’ll encourage self-care and love.
- Amethyst. Amethyst is a Stone of Peace & Meditation. It brings a calm focus and inner strength. Together these gemstones cleanse the aura, and place a protective shield around you.
- Tree Agate. Tree agate is a fantastic crystal for abundance and good luck, particularly in financial matters. With black jasper, these stones dissolve self-limiting beliefs that may hold you back from attracting money.
What Does a Black Crystal Mean?
Black crystals are associated with the Root Chakra and are often powerful stones for protection. They also provide grounding, security and emotional balance.
Many black crystals are also able to cleanse negative energies and ward against unwanted influences.
Black Jasper vs Black Obsidian
Black jasper and black obsidian have many similarities. For example, they both form from volcanic activity, have an opaque appearance, and resonate with the Root Chakra.
This makes them formidable stones for protection, grounding or manifestation. If you’re an empath, both crystals are also great for cutting ties from draining energy.
One difference is that black jasper has a loving energy that brings emotional balance and motivation. Black obsidian, as a Stone of Grief, is more effective for overcoming loss.
Which Angels Are Associated With Black Jasper?
The Angels that I associate with back jasper are:
- Archangel Sehaliah – Sehaliah is the Angel of Motivation. He fills you with enthusiasm to try new things or complete projects. I use black jasper to invoke Sehaliah when I feel stuck or lacking willpower.
- Archangel Ariel – This Angel is associated with Earth. I use black jasper to invoke the loving energy of Ariel when I need grounding.
- Archangel Muriel – This is a Patron Angel of Empaths and Intuition. I invoke this Angel using black jasper when struggling with my emotions.
Black jasper is a loving stone that has a strong connection with the Root Chakra. This makes it useful for grounding and protection.
As a Stone of Productivity, black jasper is also great for manifesting and focus.
Do you have any questions about black jasper’s healing properties? Please let me know in the comments section below.